Always one to make an excuse for an extra breakfast meal, I’m enjoying Farmhouse Breakfast Week by having cooked breakfast food for lunch (mornings tend to be more of a crumpet and tea occasion, which is just fine by me). Today I opted for a lovely baked eggs dish, with toasted bagels, and to say it was mouth-wateringly scumptious would be an understatement.
1 fresh, free-range egg
1 slice of ham
1. Lightly butter a ramekin, and cut the ham into lengths. Line the ramekin with the ham, leaving it to drape over the edges.
2. Blanch the spinach, squeeze the excess water out and press firmly into the ramekin, on top of the ham.
3. Crack the egg into the ramekin and place on a tray in a preheated oven (180C) for 10 minutes, until just set.
4. While the egg is baking, grill the mushrooms and tomatoes, and toast the bagel.
5. Gently lift the ham out of the ramekin, with the egg inside, and serve alongside the grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, and the hot buttered bagel.
6. Eat whilst hot, and try to resist going to the kitchen to make a second helping.
The eggs and spinach in this dish mean that it is a great healthy choice. Eggs are a good source of protein, as well as providing loads of vitamins and amino acids. As well as being tasty, spinach has a high iron content, which contributes to the fact that it is is known to e restore energy, increase vitality and improve the quality of blood. The Vitamin K it contains means that it is great for bone health, so together this dish is perfect for anyone aiming to top up on vital nutrients.
I’m linking this post up to the Recipe Of The Week linky from A Mummy Too. There are some great recipes over there this week, so pop over for some culinary inspiration.